Software updates are critical for the security and efficiency of an application. The quicker you debug your errors and update the application, the more secure your device will be. If the application stays idle, it will be outdated and unreliable soon. So the systems and applications must be updated or changed as you evolve the product.
Today, it is normal for tech and application developers to release updates for applications regularly as the process is happening at a tremendous speed. This case is the same for Android devices. Most people are unaware of the fact that you can adjust the frequency and the way you want your Android smartphone to receive updates.
Here in this article, we will see how to update your apps through the play store. We will also see the time duration taken for the whole process and other feasible alternatives to update apps.
How to update an app in Google Play Console?
A step-by-step guide on uploading a new app update in Google Play is shown below.
- Log in to your Google Play Developer Console. You can use Chrome browser to access the console.
- Your apps will be presented in a linear list. Select the app that needs an update.
- Under Release Management Tab, navigate to Production. Select the “Create a new version” button to create a new release.
- On the production version creation page under preparation, you can find App Integrity and App bundle, click the “Upload” button to register a new version of the AAB file.
- You have to download the .aab file of the updated version and upload it to Play Store-Production.
- After uploading the .aab file, type the name for your release or wait for the recommended name after the file is uploaded.
- Now the Save and Review buttons at the bottom will be now activated and you can save the progress.
- To finish the procedure, select the “Start Release with Production Track” button.
- When the update is finished, go to the release summary page to see the entire production release. The review would have been denied if you see messages like 'update rejected,' 'update rejected,' or 'app destroyed.' You must review the Google rejection email and take the necessary actions.
How long does it take to update an app in the Google Play Console?
Play Store indicates that it takes around 24 to 48 hours for an update to get reflected in the devices. Existing app updates are processed and published as quickly as possible (usually within an hour). The apps will use standard publishing by default.
Certain apps may be subjected to lengthy evaluations while publishing, with review time up to seven days or even more in certain situations. The same review time also applies to updates. It can take around a week. Since the update review takes a long time, you will have to wait with patience. Do not submit the update review before the app is updated. The update will appear in the Play Store once the evaluation is completed.
Your updated app will be available on Google Play. In real-time it takes some time for the update to reach your Android phones. As a result, even if the Google Play console is updated, the app may not have been updated yet. Please be patient as distribution time-frames vary depending on various factors.
How do you update an APK app on Android?
You can update apps on your Android device in two ways: manual update and automatic update. The below steps will guide you on how to update an APK on Android devices manually:
1. Launch Google Play on your Android device.
2. Tap the three horizontal lines in your screen's upper-left corner.
3. Select "My apps & games."
4. Tap "Update all" under the "Updates" tab to proceed with all outstanding updates. To manually update each app, tap on the one you wish to update.
5. To manually update an app, after pressing on the app, tap the three vertical dots in the upper-right corner of the screen. Auto-update apps will have a green box with a checkbox next to "Enable auto-update." (If the app is not set to update automatically, the box will be white or grey with no checkmark.) By touching on the box, you may alter this setting.
If you have the automatic update process enabled, you should check to see if any apps were left behind and were not updated.
How can I update my apps without Google Play Store?
It can be hard to maintain installed Android apps on your smartphone. If you use the Google Play Store, everything will be switched on by default. For example: Notifications when an update is available, auto-updating apps when you're on a Wi-Fi network, and so on.
As a developer, updating apps through the Google Play isn't the only option. Sometimes you need to publish the updated version quickly, but it is not reflected in the users' device. Some apps might not be authorized by Play Store (download those apps at your own risk). Sometimes Play Store doesn’t exist in your app user’s device. In such cases, you can use these alternative services to give updates.
APKMirror Installer is a utility tool that allows you to install app bundle files such as .apkm, .xapk, and .apks, as well as standard APK files. As a developer, you can also submit your app and give updates through APKMirror application.
The updated app can be submitted here, and the data about the update must be filled in the appropriate fields given. APKMirror will handle the rest!
On Android, you can use ML Manager App, which includes support for uploading apps to APKMirror directly.
Before being released for public, each APK file is carefully inspected by the APKMirror team.
Using Appflow you can manage both your iOS and Android paywall A/B testing, push notifications, and much more. It offers personalized suggestions which can be used to turn real-time data into actionable, meaningful insights.
Remote configuration (sometimes called "Remote config") is a mobile app development technique that allows you to change the behavior and appearance of your app without having to issue an app update. It enables you to develop and test your mobile app without having to update it. With a visual constructor, you can test your push notifications and paywall. You can display multiple paywalls to a specific group of your users at the same time. The data obtained will suggest which paywall is more effective and drives business metrics, hence increasing the number of in-app purchases of your product. So If you use Appflow, you don’t have to update the app manually whenever something needs to be changed.
It is an Android library that monitors your own server or GitHub for updates. This library displays a Material dialogue, Snackbar, or notification to notify users of app upgrades.
As a developer you can push your update to the Github repo or to your own server and the users can fetch it using AppUpdater.
When using GitHub, you must provide the repository where the library will look for updates: setGitHubUserAndRepository ("User", "Repo name"). More information may be found on the wiki.
APKPure is a website that allows you to download open-source APK files and applications for devices such as phones, desktops, and smartwatches. APKPure apps are not reviewed like those on Google Play, therefore you may come across forbidden or abandoned Android apps and files.
You need to create a APKPure account to get started. After creating an account, you may use your Developer Console to upload apps to APKPURE. All APKPure users may be managed, updated, and distributed apps.
With low requirements and expenses, you can publish or update applications on APKPure Store. You should send an app update with the same name and APKPure link. As a result of this, users will be notified of app updates. Due to the obvious high volume of applications submitted to the platform, it may take some time for your application to be properly reviewed.
It is important to have your applications updated to keep up with the latest technological trends and security issues. The apps that we install from the Google Play Store can be simply updated via the store.
If you are developing a subscription-based pricing app, Appflow.ai can help you with its abundant features like user retention, app cohort analysis, etc. Appflow.ai enables you to fully utilize analytics and transform them to power your service. Schedule a call with us and see how we can help to grow your mobile app subscriptions.